5/25/2007

A recent email conversation

Scenes from an email conversation.

From: Jim Steel
Remember the story that I wrote after you said that you "wanted to die horribly while eating my own intestines" (in one of my stories)? Well, (NAME OF MAGAZINE) have just got back to me asking for a rewrite - mostly to bring it down from 10,000 words. The only bit that they specifically asked to be cut was the bit with you in it. So that's either a good or a bad thing from your point of view, but it is definitely a something.

From: Gary Gibson
To: Jim Steel

I may be forced to quote this verbatim on the blog.

From: Jim Steel
To: Gary Gibson

No problem - I would be grateful if you could blank out the name of the magazine until I get a definite rejection, though - just in case it scunners my chances.

From: Jim Steel
To: Gary Gibson

This just gets weirder. I emailed (NAME OF MAGAZINE) saying that I was more than happy to do a rewrite, and I filled them in on how your character came about. They loved it and now want me to keep your character in and add an author's note explaining the backstory. So you'll get a free plug if it gets published, and I've now got to think of a different way of chopping wordage out of it. There's just no justice in this world.

From: Gary Gibson
To: Jim Steel

Just remember to mention the name of the new book. And when it's published (October).

From: Jim Steel
To: Gary Gibson

Well... it is your birthday, after all. Happy Birthday!

From: Gary Gibson
To: Jim Steel

It's the best birthday brutal, meaningless birthday murder I ever endured.

From: Jim Steel
To: Gary Gibson

I'd better just confirm. The new book's called 'Lighting Steel', isn't it?

From: Gary Gibson
To: Jim Steel

It *could* be called Lighting Steel. And it *could* be printed with authentic non-voluntary Steel blood mixed in the ink.

Hey ... how come Stephen King never thought of that?

No comments: