6/24/2008

progress, editing, new book title

One week to go before the new book has to be emailed to the publishers, and I've been at it pretty much ten or twelve hours a day. Yeah, yeah. Poor me. I get it. I anticipate lots of vacant staring interspersed with bouts of furious typing between now and next Wednesday when it gets fired off to Tor.

The paperback of Stealing Light has been out a couple of weeks now, and seems to be selling well, and certainly scoring higher than the previous two. Last time I looked, it was at number two on Waterstone's sf and fantasy bestseller lists, right behind Terry Pratchett. It's been floating pretty high on Amazon as well.

I got bored with the title 'Stealing Fire'. Sounds too much like some crappy action movie, possibly starring Steven Seagal. Even if the new book does indeed contain much, yes, much running around, shooting and blowing things up. Therefore I rename this book 'Nova Light', which not only sounds better, it also continues that whole thematicy-namey-thingy I was aiming for.

So. 'Nova Light'. Sounds about right.

Now I just have to figure out what the hell to call the third book when it's done.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

So Nova light hmmmm.... ok i can go with that, i picked up your paper back in waterstones with a couple quid off and it's on the top of the pile so get the next one out to door so I can read it in 6 months.

Hope all is well.

Anonymous said...

Nova Light, sounds like a cheap hatchback car with a loud stereo...

Ed S. said...

Every time I saw the title "Stealing Fire" I had the mental image of some Neanderthal tribe trying to steal some burning sticks from a neighboring tribe after their fire had gone out. Nova Light would have been OK if craig hadn't put that image of "a cheap hatchback car" in my mind.

Gary Gibson, science fiction writer said...

@ ed: which was kind of the idea, except increasingly it was Steven Seagal in a monkey suit stealing the fire. Actually, let's not go there.

@ Craig: Hah! Nice one. Drive one of those, do you? Furry dice? Bouncy-head Yoda on the dashboard, maybe?

Now I'm picturing it with Steven Seagal behind the wheel. No! Shut up, brain! Now he's wearing a monkey suit. Argh!

roryg said...

Book 3 could be
- Stealing Nova (which is what neds to before joyriding)

or perhaps

- Coors Light

Gary Gibson, science fiction writer said...

@ Rory: sounds like a sponsorship deal in the making to me.

Anonymous said...

Or is it "Nova" light, as in not as calorific as Samuel Delany's novel?

Gary Gibson, science fiction writer said...

Although strictly speaking, that would be 'Nova Lite'. At least with my books, you don't suffer embarrassing weight gain on your hips.

George Ternent said...

Delaney was quite heavy on the calories. You got Chips with it.