11/20/2006

Doing a little background research while scanning through the near as buggery finished book, I stumbled across a nice little list of 'fictional applications of real materials' amongst which, at a glance, I discovered:

Cheddite (from) Star Smashers of the Galaxy Rangers (by Harry Harrison): Made by irradiating cheddar cheese, it enabled faster-than-light travel.

I always loved that book. And I always had the idea if I could have been a movie producer or director, one of the films I'd want to make would be of The Technicolor Time Machine.

2 comments:

Bob Lock said...

Hiyahs Gary,

Perhaps you should also investigate the little known Central European cheese called 'Quark', it's a sort of cream cheese and is reputed to possibly be a potential method of powering space-craft engines, if a Free Quark can be discovered, (you probably know that so far none has been found due to the notion of confinement and of course the price of rennet and milk)

I myself prefer ricotta (especially affumicata, which is smoked) however, it is useless for any form of space travel but does taste rather nice :)

Looking forward to the new book, thoroughly enjoyed Angel Stations and Against Gravity.

Gary Gibson, science fiction writer said...

Hi Bob, I'm glad you enjoyed the books.