4/04/2008

short stories

Okay, so I finally got around to posting up that vampire story I mentioned some time ago in a previous post. I'm posting it on my own blog because, after submitting it here and there a couple of times, I just couldn't be arsed with the effort required and it ended up being shelved for a couple of years. A combination of reticence and typical, writerly what-if-everyone-hates-it kept it there until recently, when I was over at flurb.net, reading how Rudy Rucker started up his own personal e-zine because he, too, couldn't be arsed submitting his stuff to other people's e-zines.

The story is called The Ranch, and you can find it here. It's a vampire horror story, be warned, written a few days after making the statement at the Glasgow SF Writer's Circle that I hated vampire stories and there was nothing new or genuinely interesting that could possibly be done with them. By writing the story I quite possibly hoisted myself with my own petard but, at the same time, you know, the story is about why I hate vampire stories. Plus, I get to do a cheap willy gag.

Love or loathe it as you will.

1 comment:

Markhaa said...

Hi Gary, Great so see your Vampire story out and about. It's as disturbing and horrible as I remembered. The worst thing, is if there were vampires, this is so plausibly what would happen to them.