1/25/2008

In the corner

Fifteen hundred words yesterday, not so much today, having written myself into a corner. Must. Not. Ignore. Outline. So not much in the way of writing, but a fair bit of chopping and changing, together with staring out the window at the rain pouring down over the Shui-Yuan Road. Dinner in Shi-Da Night Market tonight, probably something with rice and chicken at the heart of it.

I'm slowly playing around with CSS, trying to guess my way to a redesign of the blog. I've decided to keep it very simple after all, and I haven't made up my mind whether or not to port the whole thing over to Wordpress. My idea is it won't look hugely different, just more ... modern, and much more functional (like you might actually be able to see the titles of the entries on the blog page).

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Buy a domain name and hosting that balances affordable cost and decent service (I recommend NetPivotal, but hosting companies are like beer brands, everyone has a different favourite), and go with Wordpress. If you're already teaching yourself CSS, you may as well use that knowledge somewhere where you have complete control. Plus the Wordpress engine is sooooo much nicer to use than Blogger's.

Anonymous said...

Taipei! Are you going to learn Mandarin? Are you tired of being stared at yet? I'm excited that you are stilling managing to write. I'm constantly distracted by... well everything. Oh bunny... O.o

Gary Gibson, science fiction writer said...

Advice noted, Paul, thank you. Eliza - I've learned about five words of Mandarin, xiexie (is that the right pinyin spelling?). I'm managing to write, but it's an utter effing slog. One of those 'I hate everything I write down' slogs, although I've had a slow-burning cold that might be part of the reason for it. I know you're struggling to get words down yourself, but judging by the number of pictures on your facebook and the bunch of relatively sane-looking people you're hanging out with, I'd say you're having too much of a good time to want to worry too much about the writing, at least for the moment. Enjoy it while it's there, right?

Anonymous said...

Alternatively, as with Blogger, just let WordPress do the hosting for free. Much easier to use than Blogger, more versatility, and no software downloads needed. Plus, a fairly quick customer help service. Been using them for a few months now and happy so far.