8/10/2006

I made a comment on a blog maintained by David Louis Edelman and he asked in return why White Screen of Despair wasn't giving off any atom or rss blogreader feeds. Arse. My knowledge of HTML stems from the hazy days of 3.0, when I designed web pages for a local environmental concern about, eh, 1997 or so? And what little I knew then I've mostly forgotten since.

If anybody out there does read blogs through news feed programs, let me know if this blog can be read through them now - I've made some internal changes to the page. Blogger allows you to set feed preferences, but the template I use is a wildly modified version of a very old Blogger template, and somewhere along the line I've quite possibly accidentally deleted something I needed.

More than likely I've buggered up the repair process as well, but as far as I can tell from my end you can now get a RSS feed of my blog (but not atom, for some reason). If the aforementioned makes sense to you, do try it out and let me know if it doesn't work.

4 comments:

neil williamson said...

Gary - I've been using Bloglines to read your blog via an atom feed for ages. No problems with it here.

Neil

David Louis Edelman said...

Looks like you've got an Atom and an RSS feed now. Firefox is picking them up as LiveBookmarks, and the links are clearly visible in the source code. I don't think they were there in the source code yesterday.

For some reason, Sage (the RSS reader I use) still isn't picking them up, but I think that's an issue with Sage, not your blog.

Again, great to make your acquaintance. :-)

Mike Gallagher said...

I read you blog just fine with Sage - here's the RSS feed, all Mr. Edelman needs to do is use the feed sniffer to get it.

http://www.whitescreenofdespair.blogspot.com/rss.xml

Gary Gibson, science fiction writer said...

Thanks for the comments - one way or another, it's sorted now anyway. I found a piece of relevant in a current Blogger template and dropped it into the WSOD code (with a few requisite adjustments). Since I've done that, I get that little orange symbol that shows there's a feed, on the bottom status bar in Firefox. It wasn't there before (on this computer), so I thunk it be fixed.