3/01/2003

Unleashing the inner nerd: reading this piece about operating on a Cthulhu soft toy reminded me of something. I have a teddy bear - no manly jokes, please - I got from an ex many years ago. What makes it unusual is that it has three arms (two on one side), two heads, one of which sports an eyepatch. It's based on a character from Douglas Adam's Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy called Zaphod Beeblebrox whom, you've guessed, had three arms and two heads. The bears were created by a UK Adams fan club called ZZ Plural 9 Alpha or something like that.

I mention the two-headed bear merely because I enjoy the reaction I get to it from people who don't know what it is. Mostly, people pick it up without really seeing the 'extra features'. It's the dawning, bug-eyed horror in their faces that always brings a special moment to me. This is invariably followed by dropping the bear as if it had been soaked in sulphuric acid, and, sometimes, screaming, or some variation on 'this is sick! There are children like that!'.

It's these little moments that make life worth living.

Word count for today is 37,996.

No comments: